The leading cause of motorcycle accidents is the failure of a motorist to detect a motorcyclist in traffic. When this happens, it can lead to the serious injury of a motorcyclist.
Whether you are the motorist or the motorcyclist, you need to know your rights, your options, and the things to consider when hiring a motorcycle accident attorney in Fresno, CA.
It’s important that you know your rights regarding fault and claims after you experience a motorcycle accident. Check out the following:
- Even if the traffic collision report made at the scene of your accident finds you to be at fault, you may still have a claim due to errors and biases.
- The testimony of a reporting officer (who did not witness the accident) isn’t the last word when determining fault.
- It may not be advisable to give a recorded statement to an insurance company before discussing the matter with a motorcycle accident lawyer in Fresno, CA.
- Your insurance carrier has an obligation to act in good faith. This means they won’t care who is at fault and will just focus on getting you the proper insurance benefit payout.
- California’s “Comparative Fault” law states that you may still be able to pursue and obtain a settlement even if you are partly at fault for an accident.
- In California, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. However, if the lawsuit is against a government entity, the deadline is only six months.
What to Consider Before Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Fresno, CA
While it’s possible and economical to represent yourself for a small, uncomplicated claim, here are the reasons you should consider hiring an expert motorcycle accident lawyer in Fresno, CA when your case is less straightforward:
- An attorney has special knowledge, skills, and experience that can help strengthen your position and prove you are not at fault.
- An attorney can handle all the insurance and legal meetings, negotiations, court appearances, and paperwork, all while avoiding numerous roadblocks.
- An attorney will listen carefully and offer much-needed support during this stressful time.
- An attorney can not only increase the value of your claim, but can also help you recover a higher net amount.
Experiencing a motorcycle accident is a traumatic experience that can lead to serious, lasting effects both physically and financially. Proving you’re not at fault and receiving a settlement can help you recover what was lost.
If you’re curious to know if you have a case, contact The Law Offices of David L. Milligan today!