Click Here for a Free Consultation

Talk to a person, not a machine. We're available to answer your telephone calls and emails 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call us now at 559-439-7500 or free with Skype and Google Voice.

What you Should do After an Accident

Posted on April 7, 2010 - David L. Milligan

Pasted Graphic

Right after an accident, your first priority is safety: yours and others’. You should call 9-1-1 for emergency services. The Police and Ambulance will arrive to help the injured and conduct the investigation. The Police will conduct an investigation while you receive the needed medical attention, and go to the Hospital for further care.

If there are no police or emergency personnel, and if it’s safe to do so, then you may conduct your own investigation. From a safe location out of the street take as many pictures as you can (either on a regular camera, or use your cell phone’s camera). If you have a video camera, take video. Get the names and phone numbers of all the people who were involved in the accident, and who witnessed the accident. But it’s important to remember that you should not place yourself or others in harm’s way in conducting your own investigation. Stay safe at all times: money and property can be replaced; people can not.

Afterwards, you can contact us and we will take it from there.

(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print handbooks listed below. To incorporate the latest accessibility features download of the latest version of Acrobat Reader may be required. If you have problems with Acrobat Reader or our PDF form, select PDF Troubleshooting.)

Each driver involved in an accident that caused more than $750 ($500 for accidents prior to January 1, 2003) worth of property damage or injured or killed any person must complete a Traffic Accident Report form SR1 to DMV within 10 days. You may obtain information about the other driver from the accident report that he or she submitted.

To request this information, complete Financial Responsibility Document Request form SR 19C and mail it to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Financial Responsibility Unit
P.O. Box 942884
Sacramento, California 94284-0884.

Also available are the other driver’s insurance information and a photocopy of the accident report and/or certification that the other driver in the accident was not insured (Uninsured Motorist Certificate). A $20 fee is required for each type of information requested.

Link to the California Driver Handbook
Link to the California Motorcycle Handbook

California Personal Injury Lawyer Disclaimer: The information presented at this Fresno, California Personal Injury Lawyer web site should not be taken as formal legal advice. Each personal injury case is unique so it is important you consult with a lawyer. Communicating with our California accident/injury team does not form a lawyer/client relationship. David L. Milligan Esq. is licensed to practice law in the state of California. We represent clients in personal injury cases, slip and fall accidents, motor vehicle accidents, car/truck/motorcycle accidents, car and accident insurance claims, bicycle accidents and more. We serve Fresno County, California, and surrounding areas including Tulare County, Kings County, Monterey County, San Benito County, Merced County, Madera County, Mono County and Inyo County.

xhtml | css | syntech

Home | Location | Bodily Injury Claim | Testimonials | Articles | Link Partners | Free Consultation | Privacy Policy | Español

Call Free with Google Voice!

Click the icon below, enter your name and phone number and press the connect button. Google will call your phone and connect the call when you pick up, free of charge.